Strider is no stranger to being a leader in the youth balance bike market, so we weren’t surprised with the new Strider ST-R. Claiming to be the first balance bike with a carbon fiber frame, fork and carbon steerer – their motto for this model is go big or go home.
The Engineers at Strider developed a new custom carbon fiber frame, handlebar, stem and seat clamp for this new high-end balance bike. Other features from brands you may have heard of include Schwalbe Big Apple tires and Cane Creek headset and bearings. The wheel set is composed of Strider alloy hubs with 10-spoke carbon fiber rims. Assemble all these awesome parts and you have a fast balance bike weighing in at 5.6 lbs! The ST-R is designed to fits inseams 12 – 20 inches and has a max rider weight of 60 lbs.
Strider ST-R Balance Bike Specifications
- Fits Inseam: 31 – 51 cm (12 – 20 in.)
- Rider Heights: Approx. 95 – 125 cm (37 – 49 in.)
- Rider Age: 18 Months to 5 Years
- Size: 12” Wheels
- Weight: 2.5 kg (5.6 lbs.)
- Color: Red with Exposed Carbon Weave
- Seat Height: 28 – 48 cm (11 – 19 in.)
- Handlebar Height: 51 cm (20 in.); Adjustable by 1cm
- Maximum Rider Weight: 27 kg (60 lbs.)
- Frame Material: Carbon Fiber
- Fork Material: Carbon Fiber with Carbon Steerer
- Headset: Cane Creek® AER® with Bearings
- Stem: Strider Custom Forged Alloy, 25.4 mm bar mount, 10° Rise, 50mm Length
- Handlebar: Strider Custom Carbon Fiber 22.2 mm, 25.4 mm mount, 0° rise, 4° backsweep, 380 mm wide
- Grips: Strider Logo Custom 22.2 mm
- Seat Clamp: Strider Custom Forged Aluminum
- Tires: Schwalbe® “Big Apple” (12 x 2.00)
- Tubes: 12” x 2.0” with Schrader Valve
- Rims: 12” Carbon Fiber Rim, 10 Spoke
- Hubs: Strider Custom Alloy with Cartridge Bearings
- Axles: Strider Custom Alloy 12mm x 100mm Thru-Axle
- Spokes: Stainless, Black Finish
- Spoke Nipples: Silver, Nickel Plated
- Footrest: Integrated Grip Surface
- Seat: Strider Performance Seat
- Seatpost: Strider Custom Carbon Fiber 22.2mm x 220 mm; Also includes 293mm seatpost for 3 – 5-year-olds.
The Strider ST-R is not quite available yet but it appears to be coming in the next 1-2 months. Not sure yet if you will be able to buy these online or if they require shipment to a bicycle shop. More news will be provided as it becomes available. As of this article release, pricing was not known, though we expect a hefty price-tag.