As a parent, you want to make sure that your kids have the best equipment when they’re out doing activities. That’s why it’s important to choose the right action camera for them. In this blog post, we’ll outline the best options for action cameras for kids and explain why each one is a great choice. So, whether your child is into skiing, biking, or just playing around outside, we have the perfect action camera for them!
Kids love to have their own camera to capture their lives and stunts. But not all cameras are created equal – some are better for kids than others. Here is a list of the best action cameras for kids, based on features, durability, and price. So whether you’re looking for a camera for your own child or as a gift for another, these are some great options!
5 Best Action Cameras for Kids – GoPro Alternatives
Although there are many action cameras available, the three models below are the ones that we are most familiar with. They also come from known electronic companies that stand behind their products. We will be expanding on this article as our research continues.
1. GoPro HERO8
The GoPro HERO8 is a great action camera for kids. It is small and easy to use, and it takes great pictures and videos. GoPro HERO8 is perfect for kids who love to ski, bike, or skateboard. The camera is also waterproof, so it can be used in the pool or ocean. The GoPro HERO8 is a great gift for any child who loves to take pictures and videos.
The only downside of the GoPro HERO8 is that it does not come with a memory card, so you will need to purchase one separately. Overall though we think the GoPro HERO8 is a great action camera for kids. It’s tough, easy to use, and has a great viewfinder. Plus, it comes with a bunch of accessories. If you’re looking for an action camera that your child will love, we think the GoPro HERO8 is a great option.
- Digital lens: You can now adjust the view from Narrow, Linear, Wide, and SuperView.
- Voice control: 14 voice commands will help you go hands-free.
- Advanced wind-noise reduction: The new front microphone location, as well as improved signal-processing algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
- Night time lapse video: Capture stunning time-lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p, or 1080p resolution all shot internally.
- 8X SLO-MO: With HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilisation, you can capture the action in all of its intensity at up to 8x slow motion – making it ideal for capturing those once-in-a-lifetime moments.
- Face, Smile, Blink & Scene detection: The HERO8 Black recognizes when you’re facing the camera, smiling, blinking, and doing other activities.
- RAW in all photo modes: You may now shoot time lapse and burst photos.
- Presets: Presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots.
- Portrait orientation: You can take portrait photos and videos, which is ideal for Snapchat and Instagram Stories.
- Rugged & waterproof: Take photos or video that can’t be taken with a phone. The HERO8 Black is durable, waterproof to 10 meters and ready for adventure.
- Pro-quality 4K60 & 1080P240 Video: HyperSmooth stabilization adds to the stunning video quality, high frame rates, and super slow motion.
2. Ourlife Kids Waterproof Action Camera
Our number one action camera for kids comes from Ourlife. Out of all the cameras we reviewed, this model had the highest image quality of 5 mp and a video quality of 30 fps.The Ourlife Action Camera provides a lot of bang for the buck. This action camera for kids includes an 8 GB memory card, wrist strap, 2 camera mounts, USB cable, helmet fastening strap and water proof case.
- Take photos, selfies and record videos on the go. Playback videos enabled.
- Comes with accessories to mount the camera to your bike, skateboard and more and take great action shots. Add the all-weather, water-resistant case for use up to 33m underwater
- Micro USB Cable
- Picture Resolution: 1M ( 1280 x 960 ), 3M ( 2048 x 1536 ), 5M ( 2592 x 1944 )
- Video Resolution: HD ( 1280 x 720 ), 640 ( 640 x 480 )
- Storage: Uses Micro SD Card ( UP to 32GB ) Included 8GB memory card along with the product
- Screen Size: 1.8 Inch LCD
3. VTech Kidizoom Action Cam 180
The Kiddizoom from VTech is second on our list of action cameras for kids. It has all the features we are looking for: carry strap, water-resistant protective shell, and a unique mount that allows the camera to rotate 180 degrees.
- Records videos and take photos on the go
- Take selfies or shoot videos with exciting features like slow and fast-motion using the 180Â° rotatable camera
- Comes with accessories to mount the camera to your bike, skateboard and more and take great action shots. Add the all-weather, water-resistant case for use up to 6m underwater
- Includes 2 platform style games and for even more fun an augmented reality game.
- Micro USB Cable
- Storage: Uses Micro SD cards from 1 GB to 32 GB (not included)
- Screen Size: 1.8 Inch LCD
- Photo Resolution: 640 x 380 (0.3mp)
4. AKASO EK7000 Action Camera
The Akaso EK7000 is an affordable GoPro alternative that delivers high-quality video without costing you a fortune. It’s easy for kids to use, and it can be mounted on anything from your bike handlebars to your head. And with its durable design, you’ll never have to worry about breaking it!
With this camera, you can capture every moment of life in stunning 4k resolution. Plus, there are so many accessories available for the Akaso EK7000 that will help make the videos even more professional-looking – like a waterproof case, tripod mount, or remote control!
So what are you waiting for? Get yours today and start capturing memories in amazing quality!
5. Dragon Touch 4K Action Camera
We are huge fans of the Dragon Touch 4K action camera. Works great for kids and adults and has an abundance of accessories to mount this little guy anywhere. This miniature action camera is prepared to capture your most thrilling moments, no matter where they occur. It records 4K/30 video and can take 16-megapixel still photos to help you remember more of the event, and it has a fixed 170° wide-angle lens that makes it the ideal combination of performance and tiny size.
It’s waterproof up to 30m (98ft) and captures every moment with a built-in waterproof case, allowing the camera to be used underwater up to 30m (98ft). The integrated rechargeable battery makes it possible for you to record continuously up to 90 minutes on a single charge. Two batteries, a wrist remote, and 7 attachments are included with the Dragon Touch 4K action cam.
Features to Look for in Action Cameras for Kids
Here are a few items that we feel are important when shopping for a action camera or a go pro for kids.
Let’s face it; kids are hard on everything. You want to look for cameras that have sturdy designs and protective cases. We highly recommend wrist straps; similar to what you would see on a Nintendo Wii controller that has a mechanism to tighten around a child’s wrist. Another idea is to connect the camera to a lanyard and hang it from your child’s neck.
For those underwater action videos, taking videos in in-climate weather or in the event that your child leaves the camera outside in the rain it is a must-have feature.
Who wants to spend too much on a camera or buy a cheap action camera for the sake of the low price?
Still images are measured in megapixels (MP), while the video quality is measured in Frames-per-second (FPS). The higher the number the better.
The longer the better, right? Most action cameras for kids will use disposable batteries; which we prefer because the batteries (typically AA) are easily available and extras can be packed along during a trip. Models with internal batteries can be charged with included USB cables.
Memory and storage equate to how many photos or hours of video can be stored on the memory card. Cameras will use either a Micro SD or SD card. Check to see what size memory card is pre-installed and whether it can be upgraded to a larger size.